Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm still sick, but the babies are doing great!

It's been a long day. I slept at one point last night for 3 hours in a row, which felt like a miracle. Today I managed to make it through till my OB appointments. Donna stayed on an extra day so she could stay home with Nicky. That was really nice. It was a long appointment and it would have been so hard on him to go. He's still running the occasional fever, but no colored mucus and his energy level is still pretty good. Donna is actually starting to come down with the cold too though, so she's planning to head home Wednesday so she can be closer to her doctor should she need to go in.

Anyway, I went to the ultrasound appointment first. I had to wear a mask while in the doctor's office just in case. The ultrasound took some time because the babies were just squirming around in there. We got a few new ultrasound pics, including a nice profile of each of the girls, so I'll have to get those scanned in soon. One baby is measuring at 1 pound 2 ounces and the other at 1 pound 4 ounces. Perfectly on target. They have plenty of amniotic fluid and are very active.

After the ultrasound we were snuck out the back door into the hallway and through another back door into my OB's office. We were trying to avoid unnecessary exposure to others and also to keep from freaking anyone out from my coughing.

I've only gained 2 pounds in the last 3 weeks, so doing great with that. My blood pressure was perfect at 116 over something, which was a relief. I'd been worried about that with all the medicines I'm on. My iron levels haven't changed, but they're optimistic that those will improve as I continue the iron pills. We'll check again at the next appointment.

My OB was wonderful, as always. I wish he could be my primary care doc all the time. He listened to my symptoms and went over the list I'd brought of all the medications I'd been taking. I wanted to make sure they were all ok with the babies and that they were all ok to take together also. He agreed they were all fine. He was concerned that the z-pack of antibiotics hadn't helped at all though, and that I wasn't able to sleep. He said he was fine with me taking the Tussinex, which is the awesome cough medicine I've had before and Tom had when he was really sick. He said he wouldn't have me take it early in a pregnancy, but it's ok now. But I can't take it along with the other two cough medicines (Robitussin DM and Robitussin AC).

Together we decided to switch me to Augmentin, a more powerful antibiotic (same one Tom is on) and if I'm not feeling better by Thursday I'm to call and we'll have to see about a chest x-ray and maybe IV antibiotics. He looked at my ears. I was worried about the amount of pressure, and yep, they're really angry in there. Sounds like I have a virus, but it's gone into ear infections, a heck of a sinus infection and a lung infection of some sort probably. Hopefully the new antibiotic will help.

Sleep will help too. As soon as the Robitussins wore off at 5pm I took the Tussinex. I waited till 6pm so I could take my Tylenol dose and then laid down to sleep. Not only did I manage to sleep for about 4 hours, I also was able to do it with my cpap mask on! That was so nice. I woke a few times for a second or two, but easily drifted back to sleep after adjusting my position a little. I am afraid to sleep on my left as that is the ear that is so painful. My face hurts, and now my left jaw and teeth hurt. I can't even chew on that side from the pain. I hope the antibiotic works on that fast. So I'm sleeping on my left side and had to just adjust a bit as my hip started hurting.

Four hours of sleep were great, though my head felt twice as stuffy as before the nap. I was due for Sudafed, but not for Tylenol yet, so I ate soup and toast and took Tylenol as soon as I could. I sat up with Tom and stared at the movie that was on for about 2 hours or so. Now I'm back in bed and ready to try to sleep more. The only bad thing about the Tussinex is that I can only take it every 12 hours. Hopefully it's effects will last that long.

Anyway, we'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow. It was such a relief to see the babies are doing great in there. Thank you guys for your positive thoughts and prayers. Keep them coming, they're working.


Elizabeth said...

Glad you were able to get some sleep! Is your fever gone yet?

Jodi & I are going to Clearwater tomorrow to see Brandi Carlile in concert and we'll spend the night over there and come back Friday. Call me on my cell if you want to talk to me, ok?

Hope you are feeling better and better every day!

Love you so much!