Tuesday, August 07, 2007

New rule: No TV when Nicky is in the room

Ok, while I do really consider myself pretty laid back about most things parental I am completely freaked out by this article.

So until someone can show me something countering this, there will be no more TV on while Nicky's in the room. You can watch it while he's asleep or napping or off in another room playing with someone else. No exceptions until he's at least 2. Tom said he's ok with enforcing that too which makes me feel less like a reactionary idiot better.

Maybe I wouldn't feel so horrible if Nicky was some kind of language genius and speaking in sentences or something, but he's not. I've been getting more and more concerned about his language development actually, although I'm really trying to keep in mind that all kids develop at their own speed, etc. etc. The facts are that other kids his age are talking a lot more, and while he says mama, dada, hi, hello, bye, and light pretty consistently there really isn't anything else he's saying regularly and in context. And the guidelines are that he should be saying about 40 words by now. (Ok, REALLY should not have googled that. I thought it was more like 15 words, and now I'm even more freaked out.)

So for the next 6 months if your visiting please just humor me and leave off the TV around Nicky. Really, he's pretty darn entertaining without it.

Our next pediatric visit seems REALLY far away right now.

6 comments:

Beck said...

I was so careful with tv and my first munchkin and now with my third? Not so much.
But good for you. NIcky will be the better for it, and you'll be a better mother for not relying on the television.

Anonymous said...

I think you should feel free to do whatever you feel is necessary for Nicky. However, Colin is a TV kid- always stuff like Noggin and Sesame street when he was that age- and I don't think you can argue his vocabulary and language skills. Don't beat yourself up about his development unless you sense a real problem- every child is different and you cant compare. After all, Colin may talk like a 10 year old, but I am currently researching colleges with diaper changing services!

Love you!
Gayle

Angela said...

Thanks guys!

Gayle,

Colin is a verbal genius no doubt! What was it?
Doc: Can he speak in sentences?
Mom: Colin, can you speak in a complete sentence?
Colin: I don't know mommy. What is a complete sentence?

LOL!

Beck,
Thanks! Just read and responded on your rant today. I so agree with you!

Jane Doe said...

I had a little boy who's favorite song was twinkle twinkle little star, but he was not very verbal. I went online to itunes and downloaded about 20 different versions of twinkle twinkle and made a CD. We drove around listening to the CD in the car and we had it on at the house. It could have just been a coincidence, but within a week,he got the words from the song and began singing coherently along with the song and pretty soon after began speaking (rather non stop).

Angela said...

That's a good idea. We haven't played much in the way of nursery rhymes or kids sing-a-longs with Nicky. I'll have to find some! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Angela - TV, DVD, CD, etc. can have a greater impact on children than most people, be they scientists, psychologists, therapists and all the other 'ists' might let on. If you search for the effects on Google, you'll probably throw your TV out the window, as there are studies that suggest it's not just children who are impacted.
Fortunately, I grew up with out TV. Instead, our family talked, played games, read and for a special treat, listened to radio programs at night, that, sadly, are no longer around. We raised our children the same way. Oh yeah, they both turned out fine, well adjusted, intelligent and normal.