Friday, October 02, 2009

My spluttering outrage of the week

Have you seen the story about Roman Polanski this week?

I've been so upset about this story all week. It just slays me, not even that he did it, because I know these horrible things do happen too often, but it just cuts my heart that people are backing him up!! WTF kind of screwed up world is this?

My first time was when I was raped at 17 by some 28 year old friend of the family next door. And even though it wasn't nearly as traumatic as what this 13 year old girl went through, it seriously screwed me up for a long time.

If what she had done to her wasn't "rape-rape" (which is just the dumbest thing I've ever heard) then what was done to me must have been a walk in the park with a side of rape-lite?

My mind is just blown. Obviously he's a criminal, and in my mind a pedophile. Who gives a shit how brilliant or rich he is? Why is that even mentioned? It doesn't matter! But any respect I may have had for these celebs who are saying it's not "rape-rape" or he's a great guy and this wasn't really that bad... is just gone. Gone. Poof.

Damn it! I'm just too mad to even make sense. Splutteringly outraged.

Thank you to HerBadMother for posting a coherent post on this subject so I can send you all there. If you read nothing else this week, please read this.

And then, if you have time to read one more thing, read this one.

3 comments:

Gator Leo said...

Angela,
Not even having gone through the personal experience you had, Whoopie's comments (and those of other celebs) do iritate me. Now, whenever I see that stupid Google phone commercial with her in it, all I can think about is her "it's not rape rape" statement.

If I purchased any of the items she promotes or watched The View, I would definitely be writing letters of protests to get her removed fromt them. In some respects, it's a good thing I was never much of a fan of hers.

Angela said...

I still get mad every time I think about it. I don't know what else to do about it other than just speak up about it. I already don't watch many movies or TV, so boycotting really won't do much in my case.

I guess that's part of what makes me so mad, it's just impotent rage, I don't feel like I can make much of a difference.

Chronic Thinker said...

Hello :-),

I found this blog post just now through the Facebook group. I totally agree with you, it makes me so sick. I wrote a blog post over at Wordpress here: http://chronicthinker.wordpress.com/2009/10/11/when-isnt-rape-actually-rape/
if you're interested in reading me rant about it.

I'm so sorry you had the experience you did. For all every survivor's story is different, I think as another survivor I have an idea of what you've been through.

I just want to wish you all the best in the future, I hope you're doing well these days.

"Chronic Thinker"