Thursday, February 07, 2008

Remember all those Christmas Crafts?

So I remembered I haven't shared all my Christmas crafting with you since I was waiting till I was able to deliver all the gifts. I delivered the last of them on my trip down to see my mom, sister and sister-in-law and now that I won't ruin any surprises I can finally post photos!

Bracelets

I made several bracelets using the bead picking technique I learned last fall. The big secret is to just pic an assortment of beads, any size, any texture, any material, that look good together by color. Then just string them on a stretchy string long enough to wrap three times around your wrist. They can be worn as bracelets or necklaces that way. It was suggested to use beads an odd number of times in the bracelet. So instead of 4 large beads, use 3 or 5. And I liked to alternate a bit between sizes. But otherwise it was pretty random. I also used clear nail polish on the knot to help secure it. For more photos go here.


Bookmarks

This was my favorite craft and one I hope to do for actual money maybe! I picked out a bead assortment based on color, just like for the bracelets. I picked an embroidery floss that matched. Then I tied good sized knots on both ends of the floss, leaving about 3-4 inches on each end and about 10 inches of floss between the knots. On each end I put one smallish bead first and then on one end I split the floss in half and made two beaded tails. On the other end I split it into thirds and made three beaded tails. Sometimes I put something neat on one of the ends, like a bell or some little cute charm. I tied off all the ends securely and voila! Awesome bookmarks! For more photos click here.


Knitting

I didn't find the time to knit everyone dishcloths, but I did do a nice one for Donna's birthday. Of course I didn't take a photo, darn it.

Now I'm working on another one for Maryellen. Somehow I've not found the time to knit much lately. Even though I've got it in my purse with me all the time. Must not be spending enough time riding in cars and in waiting rooms. That's probably a good thing though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those would make nice key fobs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie---I love those new ones you've done! I have my necklace on today and I am wearing it so much these days I find.
Just got back from spending a whole week with your Grandad and Aunt Melanie. It was a good experience all the way around too. By the way, your Aunt Melanie has been making bracelets with magnetic beads for their shop but she was really awed by the necklace/bracelet you gave me for Christmas this year too. Your bead work is quite inspiring you know.:)/! The new pics of Nicky are adorable!!!:)
Can't wait to see you all at Easter this year!
Love you bunches and bunches!
xxxoooMom/Grandmomma