Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Much ado about nothing... well mostly nothing... ok, well maybe some stuff here and there

Tom's going to go bonkers if I don't update my blog. Sorry about the time lapse since the last post, but between work and the end of the semester crunch I've been constantly on the computer, but not for fun stuff. I'm looking forward to the semester break though. Having some down time will be most welcome.

So what to say? Well, I found an old post I'd started a while back and never finished, so we'll talk about the nursery!

The Golden Butterfly
The Golden Butterfly

This is the inspirational piece for the twins' nursery. It's an adorable print by Mary Baxter St. Clair. I don't think we'll actually buy this piece necessarily, but I really like the look and feel of it.

Other inspirational images are these adorable prints by Cicely Mary Barker:

The Canterbury Bell Fairy
The Canterbury Bell Fairy

The Almond Blossom Fairy
The Almond Blossom Fairy

The Wild Cherry Blossom Fairy
The Wild Cherry Blossom Fairy

The Rose Fairy
The Rose Fairy

The Pear Blossom Fairy
The Pear Blossom Fairy


There are so many of these, and they're all so cute! I'm planning to pick out 6 or so and buy the prints for the nursery. I'm also planning to beg JM to frame them for me. Shh, don't tell her, I haven't actually asked yet!

The fabrics for the room are navy and white with a traditional navy toile and a navy with tiny white polka dots as the two fabrics we have. I think I did a long post about the grand plans we had for window treatments and cribskirts, but while we'd special ordered other fabrics (in February), those never were actually 'ordered' by the store. We found that out, oh about 2 months after placing the special order, so I just asked for my money back. Instead I added navy and white sheets and cribskirts to the baby registries. Either we'll get them or we won't, but navy and/or white should be pretty easy to pick up anywhere. Donna is still working on two fabulous valances and a tuffet in the toile and polka dot fabrics though. And she has a cribskirt pattern so we'll use any leftover polka dot fabric for those too.

Speaking of registering, I finally did register at both Amazon.com and Walmart.com. (Those links should take you right to the baby registries.) I just don't have the energy or stamina to do registering in person anywhere, so I had to do it all online.

Basically the registries are just to give folks an idea of the kinds of things we need. The only items I'd really researched and feel particular about are the larger ticket items like the stroller, swing, bouncer and highchairs. Oh, and I suppose we're pretty particularly set on the bottles. We really liked the Playtex original nursers with Nicky, so we're planning to use those. Of course I do hope to breastfeed, but with me going back to work we'll still need bottles anyway no matter how that works out. The important part is that they're the "original" nursers, not the "premium" ones. I read in reviews that the premium ones tend to melt in the bottle warmer. Not good!

I didn't bother adding toys and books to the registries, but those are always welcome and fun to pick out, so hopefully folks will find things on their own. We did go through Nicky's old toys and kept a few, so we have some things for them, just nothing really new yet.

Well other than that, I'm doing great, the babies are doing great, and things are cranking along nicely. I have still been anemic, in fact 3 weeks AFTER the iron infusion my numbers were actually LOWER than they'd been before the infusion. What is that about? So they went ahead and put me on B12 shots. Those are in addition to the daily insulin shots I'm on for the gestational diabetes. So lots of "poker shots" going on around here. Tom does the shots for me, and Nicky holds my hand. He's so cute and he worries about his momma. He tells me I'm so brave. What a sweetheart!

I'm off to lie down and rest. Been having Braxton Hicks contractions all day today, but the OB on call isn't too worried about it, so I'll just lie down and drink water for a while. I'm so excited about the baby shower they're throwing for me at work tomorrow! So babies, you better stay put tonight! Don't make me go to L&D and miss my shower!

0 comments: