Monday, February 23, 2009

General rambling update with ketchup on top

Time for another update:

I returned to work today. I still feel crappy and probably looked awful, but I went anyway. Six days of my leave time down the drain was enough.

Tom's starting to feel better and just wants his voice back.

Nicky's still coughing, mostly at night, but otherwise fine and full of energy. He's been back at school, and today we were told he had his best day ever. He's starting to learn the routine and transitions are getting easier for him. That was welcome news since this morning when Tom dropped him off, Nicky was crying and clinging to him. Tom of course felt horrible, and it would have been so easy to give in and just take Nicky home. But Tom did the hard thing and left Nicky at school. And lo and behold: "best day ever!" No crying at nap time, and he even came when called to line up after playing on the playground.


Sunday after playing outside and throwing about a million tantrums in the span of about 20 minutes (Nicky, not me), I put Nicky down for a nap. That was around 2pm and then he slept until about 7pm. He was apparently exhausted and really needed that nap! By the time he woke up though, Tom and I were tired, and not hungry since Tom's Dad and JM had brought over dinner back at 5:30. Getting Nicky to eat anything lately has been a battle, so when he spontaneously asked for burger, and then specified McDonald's, we jumped in the car and took him to McDonald's. There's one in the new Super Walmart here, and Tom needed some stuff anyway, so we made a trip out of it. It was good for us to get out of the house anyway.

Nicky actually ate his entire burger. Meat included! Normally "burger" actually means a bun with ketchup and mustard on it. But this time he ate the burger after eating the bun. And he also ate all his apple slices, along with the two bonus fries he found in his happy meal box. Quite the feast for Nicky, so we were pretty happy.

Then we walked around to the toy section and Tom found a remote control "scoop tractor." Nicky loves it. He played with it last night when we got home, and then again this morning. (That's probably one of the reasons he was upset about going to school.) I took a movie of him playing with it last night that I'll upload soon. He played with it again this evening after school too. I think it's a big hit. Although I'm not sure how long it'll survive his experimentation. He's pretty curious.


Oh, and as a side note, when he was eating lunch on Sunday with me, he was having fries and ketchup (which he calls dip-dip) and he asked for a spoon. When I gave him one he proceeded to use it to eat. Yep he was eating his ketchup with a spoon. At least I know he's getting his lycopene.


Lisa said...

So I commented on your last post about your cute mom and her mom advice... but it didn't work for some reason. So I don't know if this one will either... BUT - Hooray for beginning to feel better!!!!!
And seriously, what time did Nicky want to go to bed after napping till 7?

Angela said...

Nicky actually did go to bed around 9:30 that night, so not too bad. Sorry your post didn't take. I don't know why blogger sometimes does that!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you all are up and running now!
Yeah! Team!
Love you all bunches and bunches!!!
xxxoooMom/Grammie :)