Friday, August 29, 2008

Gustav and Hannah spinning in the sea...

B-L-O-W-I-N-G!

Man, we just got rid of Fay and now there are two more storms coming to take her place. And it seems several others are hot on their tails too. At the moment it's really not looking like either of them threaten our part of Florida, but I can't stand the thought of another hurricane hitting New Orleans either. I well remember how horrible that was, even for those of us with no family or friends there.

I know Katrina was not on the same level as 9/11, but in some ways it makes me feel worse. I suppose I feel that way because while 9/11 was unspeakably horrible and terrifying, it was an act of terror perpetrated by evil people, and I'm not sure there was really anything we could have done to prevent it.

But Katrina's destruction, it just feels like we should have been able to have prevented it, or prepared better, or even that we just could have dealt with it better after the fact. It feels like a gigantic failure, and I feel guilty about it. Not on a personal level, but on a national one. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I've been thinking about that a lot as the computer models from Gustav have started showing LA as a possible landfall location. I don't even know what to hope though. I mean, I certainly don't hope it hits FL either.

0 comments: