Friday, July 25, 2008

It's just not fair.

It's been a heartbreaking few days. As some of you know, I've been on a mom's message board since 2005. I joined a group of women who were all newly pregnant and due in March 2006. We got kicked off one board, moved to another, and then another. And then that board split, as seems to be a natural occurrence when a board gets really large.

These women and I have been online friends now for three years. We've supported each other through the happiest of times and the saddest of times. Most of us gave birth to healthy babies. Some had additional challenges, with pregnancy complications, premature labor, and genetic disorders. A few of us had miscarriages or our babies were stillborn. One lost her husband in a tragic motorcycle accident. And now, horribly, one has lost her son.

It's been hard trying to wrap my brain around how something like this could happen. Or maybe what I mean is "why" something like this could happen. I mean, sure I know as well as most that accidents happen all the time. But for an accident to have such tragic results is just so unfair.

I know you're thinking "Duh, who said life is fair?" But I suppose I still hold onto that childish naivety that life is actually, in the end, fair. That in some cosmic way karma keeps score and the good are rewarded while the bad are punished.

And Henry was very, very good. And even more important, his big sister is too.

Please think of the Berlin family today as they do what no parent should ever have to do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How tragic and very sad. We will be praying for that family. xxooMom

Jann said...

Beautifully written, Angela. You know I am thinking of them.

Kristi said...

What a tragedy. I cannot even imagine what they're going through.