Monday, July 14, 2008

Big Night Tonight

Tonight Nicky is sleeping in his new big boy bed. It's been a good 30 minutes so far and he's not yet tried to come out. I'll keep you posted on how it goes.

Saturday night after dinner, Tom went to take return a movie rental. Nana and I decided to take Nicky in the swimming pool. (Did I already tell you Nana bought us a 3' deep pool? I'll have to take some photos.) While I was changing him into his swimming diaper and trunks I thought his trunk felt a bit too hot. His cheeks were cool, but his tummy was pretty hot. He'd been running around the kitchen, so I wasn't totally sure it wasn't just from running around, but we decided to take him in the pool anyway.

We swam around for about 10 minutes or so. Just until he started shivering and his lips were purple. (I always thought my mom was just making that up when I was a kid. But nope, his lips really DO turn purple when he's cold.) Then we took him out and warmed him up. Lucky for us, Daddy's return from the video store right then sidetracked Nicky from his usual Getting Out Of The Pool Tantrum.

We warmed him up, got him in his jammies and put him pretty much right to bed. I may have let him watch a little of Animusic or something, but it wasn't much. But when we went to check on him later he was obviously burning up with a fever. (Cue Mommy-Guilt)

We gave him ibuprofen to bring it down. It did reduce the fever, but it never fully went away. He had it all day Sunday, but it really didn't seem to cause him any discomfort. It was up to 102.9 at one point during the day and we called the pediatrician's office. The nurse said that at this age the risk of seizures from fever were in the 105+ range, so unless he was that high or showing signs of discomfort, lethargic, vomiting, etc. it wasn't anything to come in for. If he seemed bothered by the fever we could alternate Tylenol and ibuprofen every 3 hours, but otherwise it was fine to just hit the ibuprofen every 6 hours.

So we kept that up all through the night. At 9:45pm it was up to 103.9 (these were rectal temps, so subtract one degree for the oral temp equivalent). We didn't get much sleep that night. (Especially since Tom was coughing all night. He's had a cold for about a week now. I've finally gotten over my 2.5 week cold.) By the time my alarm went off I knew I wasn't in any condition to work, and Tom was even worse. I stayed home and watched Nicky while Tom slept.

I'd say by noon today Nicky's fever was totally gone. No telling what it was. The nurse had mentioned Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease, but I haven't seen any bumps or rashes yet. Hopefully we won't have that.

Anyway. In the afternoon around 4:30 we figured we'd all get out of the house. Poor Nicky hadn't left the house since probably Thursday. We went to pick up a few things at the new SuperWalmart in town. Well, we got the few things and we also got a bathtub bubble toy, Nicky's new big boy bed, new Mickey Mouse bedding, a new baby gate, and an ice cream maker. (Thanks Nana!) So much for the little shopping trip.

But it was fun, and we got out of the house. When we got home Nana put pizzas in the oven for dinner and Tom started working on the bed. He finished putting it together while I bathed Nicky after dinner. It was a REALLY fast bath because we had a thunderstorm roll in just as I started washing him. His new bubble toy was a hit though. It's like his outside bubble machine, but it's a little smaller and suctions to the tub surround. I closed the shower curtain partway and let him enjoy his tub-o-bubbles.

After Tom set up his bed and made it up with his new sheets we had a story and a snuggle to his music and then set him into his bed. He's got 3 binkies (usually it's between 2-7 actually. Didn't want you to think we're spoiling him or anything- HA!) and he's snuggling his two teddy bears (kissy bear and bunny bear), his penguin (ping-ping) and Wendel (his worm- same as in this old photo). Usually they're just IN his crib, but he was actually grabbing and hugging all of them when we left.

It was kind of a whirlwind transition actually. Not really any preparation for it. So we'll see how it goes. His crib is still in the room, but there's no mattress in it because the big boy bed uses his crib mattress. Suppose if we absolutely had to we could move the mattress back into the crib, but right now there's a bunch of Nana's stuff in the crib. So it wouldn't be easy. Hopefully we'll make it through the night in the big boy bed.

As for the gate, well we need something to keep him IN his room at night. Otherwise he'd surely go wandering out. We do have the chain lock on the front door, so he probably can't get out that way, but still there is plenty of trouble he could get into at night alone. We bought a gate, but it's not one with a swing door. So we moved the swing gate from the den to Nicky's room, and put the new gate on the den doorway. It'll work for now.

I'll take some photos or movies tomorrow of the new bedroom set up. It won't be long before we have the guest bed set up in the den with the computers and Nicky will have his room all to himself. Pretty exciting stuff.

In the meantime, I have three movies up for you now. These were taken today at lunch. Nicky's fever was finally gone and Nicky was eating his pasta. In one you can hear him saying "delicious" which is so fun to hear! In another he was asking where Grammie and Aunt Liz are. And in another you can hear him show off some of his curse-word vocabulary. *sigh*

Not sure what to do about that. Usually we ignore it, but I had to giggle in the video knowing I was going to have to put that online. When he did it later at the store I just asked him to please not curse in public. What are you gonna do?