Friday, May 16, 2008

So the bus isn't perfect

I haven't been very frugal with gas this week. Actually Tom's driven me to and from work every day this week. I've still managed to get to work early every day, actually earlier than the bus would have gotten me there too, but I couldn't quite get ready in time to catch the bus.

But Thursday I actually tried to catch the bus home. Now to get home I pick up the bus that comes right in front of my office at about 4:50. In order to be sure to catch it I usually get to the bus stop at 4:30. Then that bus takes me to the downtown station where my bus home leaves at 5:03.

So Thursday I got out to the bus stop at 4:30 and waited. And waited. AND waited! Finally it was nearly five and there was just no way I was going to make my connection. We don't actually have real cellphones anymore, but luckily I had one of our "go phones" that we use when we travel and it had a minute or so on it. I called Tom to come pick me up.

While I was waiting for Tom, the bus finally came by...at 5:08. My bus home had already left the station by that time. So if I had no choice and HAD to catch the bus home, I would have ended up waiting at the downtown station until 6pm to catch my bus. That would have been 45 minutes or more at that station.

So I'm not entirely sure how the bus thing is really going to work out. I can't catch the earlier bus because I can't leave work any earlier than 4:30. If I wait for the next bus (to minimize my time waiting for my connection) I'd not only be at work longer, I wouldn't get home till 6:30. That's an 11 hour day away from home.

Our compromise might be for me to take the bus in the morning (before the buses have a chance to fall behind on their schedules) and then have Tom pick me up in the afternoons. At least it would save half the gas we normally spend on my commute. We'll have to see. Next week I definitely need to take the bus to save gas though.

Who knew taking public transportation was so complex? Well, actually I suspected it, that was one of the things I was afraid of before I tried it out. But really, I can't imagine how hard it must be for folks who have to rely on public transportation for their only ride. It must be really stressful.

0 comments: