Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Going Bananas!

Or as my mom might say "banana-cakes." :)

Nicky tried bananas for the first time yesterday and I'd say he has strong feelings about bananas...we're just not sure what kind of feelings. You'll just have to watch the videos! I actually have 4 videos of this first banana meal, but I've only been able to upload the first two so far. I added a new link to the right that takes you directly to "Nicky's Movies" in the photobucket album. So you can just click there and watch. I'll try to upload the parts 3 & 4 by the end of the week.

Over the weekend Tom, Nicky and I went on a roadtrip to St. Augustine. We drove about 2 hours to get there and Nicky stayed awake most of the time. Then we drove to the fort there and looked around. I ended up feeding Nicky in the courtyard and Tom walked around the top of the fort. Tom met the canon-man who is actually a military weapons historian and had a great history conversation while I kept Nicky happy. It was so HOT! Luckily there was a nice breeze through the courtyard, so as long as we stayed in the shade it wasn't too bad.

Then we loaded back in the car with the idea of parking and walking through the town, but we ended up deciding on going to the beach first to cool off. So we drove another 30 minutes to St. Augustine Beach, parked, slathered on sunscreen, changed into sandals, changed Nicky, put on his hat, packed a diaper, wipes, water, and two towels and walked to the beach. Nicky got to dangle his feet and legs in the surf and I got my rolled up pants wet. We looked at pretty shells and tried to keep the waves out of Nicky's face. One wave got his diaper all wet and startled him for a second, but a quick cuddle made it all right. He looked so cute in his little white hat, but we forgot the darn camera! Grr! Guess we'll have to just go there again sometime!

We stayed at the beach for about 20 minutes and then walked back to the car. We put a fluffy towel in the back of the SUV and undressed Nicky and watered him down with bottled water to get all the sand and salt off, then changed him into a fresh set of clothes. Tom and I rinsed off too. Nice use of bottled water...

We were going to drive down the beach and eat at a restaurant, but Nicky said he was DONE! He was so pooped and just needed some sleep in one place. So we skipped out of town. I ended up feeding Nicky a bottle and pears in his carseat as we drove home when he woke up hungry. It worked well. I tried giving him ham, but he didn't want any of that. Pears went down well though. ;)

So that was our first real roadtrip. Just for the day, and I think we were only gone for about 6-7 hours tops. It was truly a "ROAD" trip since I think we spent most of the time in the car. Probably spent about 2 hours between the fort and the beach and 4-4.5 hours in the car. But Nicky was reall very good. Just pooped. He slept from about the time we got home until 7 the next morning. About a 12 hour stretch. Poor kid was wiped out. But I think he had fun at the beach.

0 comments: