Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Quite the little traveler!

Well that was a long stretch without a post, but we were out of town for most of last week. My Grandmother passed away and with me on leave, Nicky 3 weeks old, and Tom's folks close by and willing to watch the pups it seemed this was our best chance to visit with my mom's family for quite a while. So even though Nicky is still pretty little, we took the trip!

Monday we left and drove 4 hours south to my sister and mom's house. We only stopped once to change and feed Nicky and he slept the entire way! We spent Monday night at Liz's house and Liz, Jodi and my mom had a great time with Nicky. If Jodi will remember to send me the photos she took I'll post them. (By the way Liz, I think we might have left our camera there. Oops!)

Tuesday was the funeral down in Stuart. That was about a 2 hour drive or so. Nicky again slept the whole way and was so good! We had to feed him as soon as we arrived at my aunt's house, but we caught up again with everyone at the church only about 10 minutes late. Nicky was really great in the church too, although I'm not sure he cared for the organ music much. It was making him jump in his sleep. At the reception afterwards everyone was very complementary about Nicky. (Even though he had baby acne pretty bad, poor guy!) Tom and I held him most of the time to minimize any germs, and it seems to have worked! He's still well! Phew! That was a risk we knew we'd be taking by exposing him to so many people so early, but we hoped by limiting his physical contact with people we'd avoid it. We were lucky I'm sure! It was great seeing my cousins and family. I don't get to see my family very often with them living 6 hours away. Everyone seemed pretty surprised that I could function so well only 3 weeks after my c-section. I guess they were expecting me to be bedridden or something. I was a bit sore after all the traveling, but not too bad. I didn't need pain meds or anything. :) This bodes well for my return to work next week.

Wednesday we were planning to go to the interment in Orlando, but decided against it. Tom and I were just exhausted, and even though I was trying to do all the night stuff so Tom could sleep, he is such a light sleeper he woke up anyway. I did discover that sleeping in the recliner with Nicky on my chest got me much more sleep though! And when we came home that was the first thing I did! Bought a rocker recliner to sleep in. I miss my bed, but getting 2-3 hours of uninterrupted sleep at a time is SOOOO nice!
Thursday Tom and I drove back home. Again Nicky slept most of the way. He was a great little traveler for his first big trip!! Next we go to Tampa for my godson Colin's third birthday party! That's only a two hour trip, so that should be cake for my seasoned traveler!