Thursday, October 20, 2005

Actual Numbers and a Level 2 U/S Appointment Made

Well, I got the actual numbers yesterday. Keep in mind this is not a diagnosis, only a screening. The Quad Screen screens for 3 disorders, and screens for Down's Syndrome in two ways:

Trisomy 18= 1:62
Trisomy 21 (by my age)= 1:511
Trisomy 21 (by my blood)= 1:2060
Open Neural Tube Defect(spina bifida & anencephaly)= 1:5000

All are considered "within normal parameters" except the Trisomy 18 which is really high.

My Level 2 ultrasound was scheduled for November 3rd which is two weeks away. They are trying to see if they can get me in any sooner than that. I told them I'd be happy to wait in their waiting room all day if they thought they could fit me in. Hopefully they'll find they have a spot for me on Monday. I just got the call today around 4pm that they'll fit me in on Monday at 12pm. So hopefully we'll know more on Monday evening.

I found the following information on the Quad Screen at This website.

"About 0.2 percent will receive a screen-positive result for trisomy 18. Of that 0.2 percent, about 11 percent will actually have a pregnancy affected with trisomy 18."

0 comments: