Friday, September 11, 2009

Sometimes my morbidity scares me.

What am I dwelling on today? Death. Big surprise there.

Specifically, being left behind. How much pain does a death cause? If you lose a parent, is that more painful than losing a spouse? Is losing a child worse than losing your soulmate? What about if your child is an adult and married to their own soulmate? Whose pain will be greater, yours or your son/daughter-in-law's?

It doesn't really matter I guess. Just trying to put it all into perspective. Maybe if I think of all this in advance it won't catch me by surprise? No, probably won't help at all. But I can't help thinking about it. Especially when it seems so many people are dealing with these variations of pain.

Back to your regularly scheduled cute Nicky photos and stuff later. Promise!

2 comments:

Loralee Choate said...

One thing I have learned is that trying to compare pain is pointless simply because there isn't a firm answer. It will be different for everyone. The only thing that IS certain? It all sucks.
xo

Angela said...

I hear you. I guess my morbid curiosity is if (when) I'm faced with these losses, which ones will I be able to survive? (Meaning: survive as some kind of a functional person, I think I'm past the suicidal tendencies of my youth.)

I don't think like this all the time. But sometimes...