Saturday, March 07, 2009

Saturday Night Awesomeness

Busy day! Sampson is already home. He went in for his surgery Friday morning and we picked him up this morning at 10am. I hadn't thought about the shaving, so it was a little shocking to see him at first. Poor boy. He looked so miserable. He was happy to see us though and attached himself to my knee. Nicky was very good with him, and wanted to help hold his lead on the way to the car. He was telling everyone that Sampson has a boo boo today.

I took some photos of Sampson before the surgery and I'll have to snap some after ones too. He looks really good. They took the huge (estimated at about 1 pound) tumor off the front. It had involved the underlying muscle too, so they had to take some of that as well. Then they went ahead and took off the growth he had on his heiny, even though it wasn't cancerous. That was a nice bonus. Well, maybe not to him.

After we got home with Sampson and made him comfy, Tom started working on finishing up the interior of our back door. A friend of a friend, who happens to be a carpenter, had come over last week and reset our back door correctly. It was in before, but not quite right. Tom finished up the interior today and now it just needs sanding and painting. Then the inside will be finally done! It's going to looks so much better for Nicky's 3rd birthday.

At 2:30pm Grandma & Grandpa came over to watch Nicky so Tom and I could go get our taxes done. Someday I'll learn to do them myself again. I used to always do them back when we did the EZ form, but ever since we started itemizing and tax credits I just hand it all over to the H&R Block folks. It does cost a bit (270ish this time I think) but they'll take that out of the return. And it only took an hour! Very painless. (Of course a huge chunk is going to Sampson's surgeon, but we'll ignore that for now.)

To take full advantage of our wonderful babysitters (who were able to enjoy watching movies the whole time because Nicky totally slept through the entire afternoon) Tom and I went shopping and bought some birthday gifts for Nick. Well, I'm justifying them as birthday gifts. He's fortunately still too little to much care what he gets.

I picked out a toy box, step stool, and sling bookcase for him. Then we picked up a toy helicopter, plane, and set of matchbox construction vehicles. Tom's planning the birthday party and we've already got the theme set ("Bob the Builder"/Construction) and the cake ordered (Publix). It'll be on Saturday, March 21st. I don't know if we're going to try to do anything more than just a family party. At some point we're going to have to throw him a "real" birthday party with other kids and favors and stuff, but I don't know if we're quite ready for that.

When we finally made it home it was already six, and Nicky was still sleeping. We woke him up by letting Abbey come give him kisses (we've found that's the best way to wake a sleeping boy) and we all went out to Sonny's for dinner. Grandma and Grandpa were treating Tom out to a belated birthday dinner since we were all sick during his actual birthday this year.

After dinner we went out so Tom could spend his gift card at Kohl's. We'd actually never been in the new store they opened here, um, like a year or two ago. It was nearly 8pm when we arrived and we went through the entire store. Tom picked out 4 shirts, a jacket and a really nice pillow. We found two pairs of shoes for Nicky and the best thing was we found a belt for Nicky! He's got such long legs but such a small waist and many of his pants are either too short or fall off. The belt will really expand his wardrobe. His teachers will probably hate us though, so we'll have to show him how to work it himself.

By the time we got home it was about 9:15pm. While we gave Sampson his medicine and sync'd our cellphones up with our home phones, Nicky went into his room and closed his door. We'd left the doorknob protector on after his nap, so I figured he'd accidentally locked himself in his room and would be calling for help soon. About 9:30pm I went to check on him.

I opened the door, and there was a little trail of shoes and socks leading to his bed. His cup he'd brought home from Sonny's was on his nightstand. And in the bed was my boy. Under the covers, head on his pillow, with his binky in his mouth.

He put himself to bed! (Excuse me while I pass out from the cuteness!)

I called Tom to come see. We asked him if he was tired and ready for bed. He said yes. So Tom went to get his medicine (super-yummy strawberry flavored antibiotic from the fridge, which is not even fair when I think of all the CRAP flavored stuff I had as a kid) and I got the toothbrush. I brushed his teeth, gave him medicine and changed his diaper and he never even got out of bed.

How awesome is that? My two year old was all "I'm not even waiting for my distracted parents. It's past my bedtime, I'm tired and I'm going to sleep dammit!"

Awesome.

0 comments: