Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Poof! There goes my vacation

Well it's been over a week since my surgery. I finally started feeling a little better on Tuesday of this week. By "better" I mean able to go longer than two minutes without cringing and screaming "my butt!" But I did start to wean off the major pain meds Tuesday and today, mostly only taking Tylenol, although Tuesday night I succumbed and finally took a Toradol. My impetus for trying was that I only had two Toradol left and maybe 3 Percocet. I'm all out of the Lortab. Good stuff though huh? Yeah? Well I was on all that and STILL in excruciating pain for over a week. Nice surgery. Why did I have this again??

Anyway, still hurting, but only taking Tylenol really, oh and living in mortal fear of the bathroom, and now have had to take off the one week I'd planned and so far 3 days of another week. I really don't think I'll make it back to work before next Monday, which means I'll have taken my whole two weeks of leave. And that means our vacation to North Georgia we'd planned to take in early November isn't happening. Of course right now the idea of sitting in a car for 7 hours is laughable anyway, but hopefully by then I'd be able to do it. But it's a moot point now. Aw well. The one time I'd actually planned to take an actual week of vacation and I end up spending it at home miserable. Grrr! Maybe I'll be able to acrue a few days of vacation by Christmas and we can go up just for a long weekend or something. We'll have to see.

That's enough about me and my Heinous Heiny. Now for something about someone much cuter and more cheerful...



Oops, more like this...



LOL That picture just tickles me! We were over at Tom's Dad's place the weekend before my surgery and Nicky was having a ball playing with some of JM's mom's old jewelry. At one point I had him with clip on earrings wearing two necklaces. Tom said he looked like a pirate. I thought he looked rather beautiful. JM grabbed her camera to snap some shots of him. While I was changing him into something cooler to wear. Here's another...



He's just too cute!

Anyway, he's not tried the climb-out-of-the-crib trick any more, so let's hope he refrains until I can buy him a toddler bed. I hope to go out mid-November to buy one. We thought about making one to match his antique furniture, but then we just laughed and laughed and decided we needed him to actually be able to sleep in his toddler bed before he starts school. So I'll pick one out somewhere (cheap of course) and we'll pick it up and hope it's not recalled. Sigh. What is up with all these crazy recalls? Did someone miss the memo? LEAD PAINT = BAD.

Let's see, other Nicky related news... Did I tell you he now has two upper molars to match the lower ones? That means he's got 6 teeth on top and 4 on the bottom. Hey, that's 10 teeth! We're halfway there. And then of course he'll start losing them and growing them all over again.

We have lots of new words now, he knows where his ears, nose and belly button are and can say ear and nose. I'm not sure if he knows his eyes, cheeks and mouth yet, but we're working on it. His Grandmomma taught him to say "I don't know" during my surgery day which was fun. He just picked up a nicely sarcastic "so?" from me today. He's been calling all dogs Bobo (Benjamin's nickname) but now he can say Abbey and Sampson too. He says Night-Night when he's tired and wants to go to sleep. He says Cow and knows that a cow says "Moo." (That was accomplished at the craft store where he picked out a toy cow and we went through the store saying Mooo Mooo! Ahh, good times.)

I'm sure there's more, but I'm getting too sore sitting on one hip trying to type so I'll leave it at that. Point is, he's learning new words everyday, and while they're not crystal clear or anything he's obviously starting to use and understand language. So yay! (And of course it's all because we moved the house around and don't let him watch any tv anymore. Right?)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute pictures, of course, but hey! does this mean I have to give him old jewerly now instead of cardboard boxes, pots and pans, silver spoons to dig in sandpile and "cool" red and yellow dump trucks? I was really looking forward to playing with boy toys with him as I remember you girls all liked dolls and my little ponies and stuff mostly :)xxxooo

Anonymous said...

Oh he's all into trucks, trains and boxes for sure! But JM has a lamp full of old jewelry that he was fascinated with. I haven't let him play with my jewelry for a while now, and it was like pirate treasure I think. ;) For what it's worth I have a few pics from that same day of him playing with a mixing bowl and wooden spoon while wearing the pearls.