Sunday, April 05, 2009

Nicky's first fishing trip

Mostly he loved the worms

I took Nicky for his first fishing trip today. Tom stayed home and pressure washed the driveway. I'm too exhausted to tell a full story right now, but the basics are that it wasn't bad for a first fishing trip.

We went to a lake about a 5 minute drive away.

We bought worms, a little dip net and a stringer, just in case although I was planning to release anything we caught.

Ant bites=2 (Both on Mommy)

Sunburns=2 (Tom didn't wear any sunscreen and is so burnt. I wore it, but missed the back of my neck and had braided my hair so it's a lovely hot pink. Nicky was totally covered and is fine.)

Hooking accidents=0 (I dumped a bottle of wine and used the cork as a hook guard when we weren't actively casting/fishing. Genius idea. And it was old crappy wine by the way.)

Catches=0

Bites=0

Nibbles=2 (Probably our worm being attacked by minnows right under the dock.)

I think Nicky had fun though. Photos are up now. The one above was one of the first I took. Mostly Nicky enjoyed playing with the worms. He wasn't interested in what was happening in the water so much.

After an hour or more of fishing we dumped our stuff at the car and went on the playground. Nicky had a ball and threw a first-class tantrum when we left. We were both hot and tired though, so it was time to go.

After a complete failure of a nap, we went outside and Nicky played with his wormies some more. I finally got him to put them to bed in a planter and come in for dinner. He of course had to sing them to sleep though, and I caught that on a movie for you. I'll upload the movies soon. But probably not tonight. (Must sleep!)

2 comments:

Lisa, F is for Fischer said...

How fun! You are such a good mom! I don't know if I could bring myself to hook a worm... I don't mind holding them... just the piercing part is scary. The other day, Fischer went out to play after the rain, and came running and crying after turning over a piece of wood to discover two (terrifying) worms!!! I guess I'll have to buy that crap in the jar for our first fishing trip! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! Angie, I am so proud of you taking Nicky out for his very first fishing experience. Your Dad taught you well!
Hooking worms was not fun for me but I could take him brim fishing with little balls of bread or trout fishing with hand-tied flies or salmon eggs though. :)
Nicky will have a ball, fishing with his Grandads soon too.
So much fun to love forward to discovering the natural world again through Nicky's young eyes.
Love you all bunches and bunches!
xxxoooGrammie :)