Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Nicholas Charles Mott: Born at 6:59pm, 3/17/06 at 8 lbs 1 oz and 19.75 inches long!

Well, I got home Tuesday around 2pm. I slept around 7 hours straight, got up at 10:30 to pump and eat and slept till 2am. Now I'm trying to pump and type at the same time.

I wish I had a pic to share, or even one I could look at but I have to wait for one of my family members to send me one. So instead I'll try to write up my birth story...

I went in Friday morning for my second induction. As you know I had the cervadil and pit on Wed, but only got to a stretchy 1cm and 75%. Well on Friday I was still a very stretchy 1cm and 80%. The baby was still not engaged either, although he was definitely much lower and my belly had dropped.

We started right on the Pit at 8:00. We got the contractions going quickly up to 2 mins apart. As soon as they were regular I got my IV of antibiotics (I'm GBS+.) They were coming harder than on Wednesday, so I was hopeful that they were actually working. The nurse I had Friday wasn't as accommodating as the nurse Wed. I was pretty much in bed the whole time. I did get to move to my ball and change positions in bed, stand up a little next to the bed and such, but I had to be on the bp cuff, and external monitors constantly. I loved hearing my baby's heartbeat though; what wonderful sound! He was still moving around quite a bit and they had a hard time staying on him. The little booger! :)

I'd say around 10am they checked me again and I was at 2cm and still 80%. They wanted to get an internal fetal monitor in as soon as I hit 3cm, so they went ahead and broke my water. (Seeing the monitor thingy on Wed really helped me to want to do that. Especially so we'd not keep losing him and having to find him all the time with the external). What a funky feeling that was! It was kind of a relief though, and warm! It was quite a trickle! Not quite a gusher. My contractions started coming closer very quickly after the amniotomy.

I labored more, and the contrax were getting rough and about one minute apart. I was breathing, and now also moaning, through them though, and I remember being on my left side because that seemed the position Nicky was easiest to be found in. Tom started rubbing my back and I started asking him to rub harder during contractions. I was starting up back labor. I'd expected it, and it sucked, but I was doing pretty good still breathing and moaning thru, only occasionally cussing...

At one point I really had to pee. I do remember specifically my MIL was in the room at that point. By the way, only my MIL and my mother were in the room this time, other than Tom and my doula of course. I'd talked to my sister Jessica and my Dad on Thursday and made it clear that although I loved them, I just can't really relax and show my feelings and pain around them, so they agreed to wait for the baby to come before coming in the room. They seemed ok with that. I hope so since I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I'm glad we talked about it, because I really ended up in quite a bit of pain and would have felt the need to try to be stoic if they'd been there instead of going with the pain and saying/doing some possibly funny sounding/looking stuff to get through it. My step-MIL had a photo job she had to attend in the morning and early afternoon that kept her away (she's the photographer so no early labor pics from her darn it!) My best friend was sick and we'd decided she should come when she was well and after the baby, when she'd really be a big help to me. And my sister Elizabeth had to attend a class her boss had already paid for in the daytime, but would be back Friday evening.

Anyway, the point was I really had to pee! Once I got up though I was gushing water all over in a mess from the bed to the bathroom! LOL! I hope it wasn't pee too, but I couldn't tell! It was so weird! I just got straight into the shower and showered off. The water felt good and I was able to go thru several contrax in the shower standing up holding onto the bars and leaning against the wall for balance and support. I'd have loved to stay in the bathroom, even sitting on the toilet felt good, but I had to get back to the monitors. Oh, I did learn that amniotic fluid isn't clear. It was kind of peachy colored, almost orangey looking to me. Tom said it was blood tinged. I insisted it was just paint, like the red paint that sometimes would show in the IV line. (Whatever it takes to keep from fainting or puking right?)

Anyway, Back in bed I went. Shortly after that I got the internal monitor on the baby.

I'll have to finish this story in increments I think. I'm really tired now. Just pumped 40ml of milk for my sweet Nicky! He's so beautiful!

0 comments: